So what is cPanel?
cPanel is a time-tested, browser-based Linux web hosting control panel that was designed to make administration of websites easy and for over 20 years, has remained the leading hosting automation platform.
You might describe cPanel as a well-thought out suite of applications designed that provide you with the tools needed to create and automate all server management tasks, allowing you to focus on building every facet of your website experience.
The software was designed by J. Nick Koston, (present cPanel's Chief Executive Officer) who started the company out of his Wilmington, DE childhood home as a teenager.
At 21 years old, cPanel has grown up a whole bunch and now is considered as a top-notch web hosting control panel with a well-earned long-standing reputation among the global hosting community.
cPanel/WHM is designed with several administrative levels and offers different user communication channels for administrators, resellers, and end users with email-based interfaces.
These various administrative levels provides you with the capability to manage your sites, servers and your business with our suite of hosting automation and optimization solutions.
You can manage cPanel from any modern browser including Google Chrome™ (MacOS®, Microsoft® Windows®, Linux), Mozilla Firefox (MacOS, Windows, Linux), Windows Internet Explorer® (Windows) and Safari® (MacOS).
In addition to the GUI, cPanel also has command line and API-based access that allows third party software vendors, web hosting organizations, and developers to automate standard system administration processes.
The server administration panel of which cPanel is a part is known as WHM, short for WebHost Manager designed to function on dedicated servers and virtual machines.
The latest WHM version supports installation on Amazon Linux, CentOS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), and CloudLinux OS.
cPanel supports virtual environments such as Oracle VM VirtualBox, Xen, VMware® Server and Linux Containers though this requires additional configuration to run.
Why the need for a control panel?
Getting a domain name is probably one of the first steps in this process, but you still need a way to introduce yourself or the service that you provide to your visitors.
For this, you need either a web application or or static files that can be modified to present such information.
The web hosting provider has provided the space, but you still need to place the files on that server, ensure that it can be reached and that it is secure from malicious visitors and bots.
In the past, this require extensive sysadmin knowledge, including the ability to control server services via CLI.
But for most system admins and those without such level of server administration skills, a control panel such as cPanel with a GUI presents a much easier way to manage and monitor all hosted services you use.
Why is cPanel, the best hosting control panel?
cPanel has been around for a very long time and it is widely (if not mostly) used control panel in hosting environments around the world.
It has everything a developer & IT teams, small to medium businesses, website owners, service providers and web agencies needs to run an effective, stable business.
With cPanel, you can:
- launch, build and monitor your own websites from the ground up.
- launch new email accounts, create shared calendars and enjoy various levels of spam protection.
- backup and transfer all web files from within the cPanel interface or use the FTP controls.
- manage your network of domains.
- create aliases, add or remove subdomains, manage DNS zones and direct site visitors around any of your web properties.
- design custom databases using MySQL Wizard, phpMyAdmin and various other tools.
WHM (Web Host Manager)
cPanel WebHost Manager (WHM) is tailor-made for web design agencies, web hosting resellers, developers with multiple websites, hosting providers who want to offer their services, to their customers under their own branding.
For an example, you can:
- customize styling and notifications to deliver the power of cPanel with the feel, look and colors of your company
- view how resources are being utilized and get actionable insights on potential issues happening on your network.
- launch cPanel user accounts and create custom hosting packages for your customers.
- choose the services you want to provide, create pricing tiers, and scale your hosting business.
- transfer (in minutes) cPanel accounts from a fleet of remote servers with no hassle.
- protect your machines and your customers with all of the security tools baked into cPanel & WHM.
- blacklist or white-list individual IPs or entire regions and countries
- deploy SSL certificates to sites across your server network
- terminate and suspend accounts and more.
But more importantly is the fact the cPanel has a great vibrant, community. third-party add-ons/innovative applications to add to your configuration and with 2cPanel, an in-house, 24/7 support to help solve all your hosting needs.
How Does cPanel Work With Cloud Hosting?
For forward-looking businesses, the use of cloud technology is no longer a question of "if", but "how" do we take advantage of all that this technology provides.
Whether it’s private, public, hybrid or a mix of various cloud computing models, businesses are aware or becoming increasingly aware of the multiple benefits cloud computing can have when it comes to maximizing efficiency & profitability.
But the cloud is as beautiful as it is complex.
Time, cost and security are the most common challenges.
Reducing these complexities makes it easy for companies to embrace the cloud easily.
And that is one thing using a time-tested, well-trusted control like cPanel can bring to the table.
Yes, cPanel at this point doesn't support horizontal scaling, require static IP addressing to work and need some some real tweaking to work with Linux containers.
But the cPanel team is designing a pure cloud-native version of the software, and even with what it is capable of at this point, you can still gain:
- increased profitability and capability
- increase speed of deployment, operation & scalability
- enhanced your competitive advantages & business growth
- gain simpler administration and management
- reduce operational costs and others.
2cPanel can help you move faster, reduce IT costs, and attain global scale through a broad set of global compute, storage, database, analytics, application, and deployment services.
By using our services, you gain access to innovative solutions architects, seasoned deployment engineers and dedicated technical account managers who can help you plan, design and secure your cPanel cloud architecture and deployment for optimal performance.